This is a useful link to all the presentations and workshops from February’s SSLN conference, now available on Glow:
For more information on the survey and its findings follow these links:
Education Scotland have also produced this Professional Learning Resource, which aims to address the concerns raised by the findings of the SSLN in numeracy. It looks at developing the numeracy skills essential to successful problem solving and mental agility, and I particularly found it useful in highlighting the need for:
- giving children problems based on real life contexts
- allowing children to share and discuss their own ideas for working out solutions
- talking through possible strategies and justifying their choices
- developing efficient mental strategies
- deeper questioning to develop mental agility
All core concepts of the Highland Numeracy Progression!
Here is the link to this resource:
Please comment if you find this useful!