Follow this link for these printable decimat resources:
These are based on the Deci-mats available from NZ Maths, but I’ve just adapted them slightly to include pre-printed colour versions as shown. These can be used as a concrete material to promote understanding of decimals in so many ways.
- Try showing the whole decimat and asking what would happen if we cut it into ten
- Show the tenths decimat and ask – What would 0.5 look like? 0.9? 0.2?
- Show the printed version for 0.3 – How would we descibe this as a decimal? A fraction?
- Sort printed decimats and match to numeral cards
- Sequence and order printed tenth decimats. Match to numeral cards
- Use on Smartboard, laminate to use again, or print paper versions to allow colouring or cutting out
- Use to promote mental strategies for adding/subtracting decimals
- Extend to hundredths decimat and discuss how we describe hundredths as decimals
- How many hundredths in a tenth? Can you prove it?
- How many tenths in forty hundredths? Can you prove it?
I love these equipment animations from NZ Maths to show different ways they can be used:
These will also be available on the Resources Page. I’d love to hear ways you find these useful for learning and teaching – as always please comment or email photos!